The Ultimate Guide to Buying the Best Ballet Barre for Home in 2023
Today, we’re going to take you through why it’s important to buy a ballet barre for home and what makes the best portable bars. So, we’ve looked for bars from well-known manufacturers with a good background in quality and customer service. Then, we tested and reviewed the best products to make choosing your bar easier. We think this is really important to have a great all-around experience with your ballet barre.
What is the purpose of a ballet barre?
Ballet bars are an essential tool for warming up and stretching exercises. So, they allow increased blood flow to the muscles, improving flexibility, and reducing the risk of injury.
The support provided by the barre prevents the student from undue efforts to maintain independent control over the whole body before the muscles are sufficiently prepared. The practice at the barre will continue to be an important part of the dancer’s technique throughout his professional life. And it’s always used in preparation for each class or show.
So if you want to continue your practice at home, it is crucial to buy a ballet barre. And even if you don’t dance, a portable barre is also very useful for stretching.
What is the correct height for a barre?
The height of the ballet barre is a delicate and fundamental point. Then, we must adjust the distance to the ground where the bar is located, depending on the person or group of people who will use it.
Most ballet studios have double bars, for added versatility and to ensure that most people can use them. But, at what height do we place the bars respectively?
For the top bar, it’s recommended a height of 90-120 cm. And the suggestions for the bottom bar are between 80cm and 91cm from the ground. But does the bar height influence the dancer so much? The answer is yes !!
The positioning of the body is crucial in ballet. Your torso, including your arms, should be aligned. They cannot be crooked, as this will mean that when you do not have a bar, you will not be able to maintain your balance. So, if you use a ballet barre that is too low for you, you will be training crooked. And this could influence your balance, which is very important in classical dance. In the same way, if the bar is too high for you, you will have the same problem.
What is the best barre?
Most portable ballet barres have steel bases that guarantee stability and balance for many exercises and when used by multiple people. Some models usually have their version with wheels. That allows them to be moved effortlessly by a single person by leaning it slightly on its wheels. Generally, both the wheels and the safety brakes are made of high-quality rubber that will protect your floor.
The barres without wheels can be moved comfortably by two people. Keep in mind that normally the weight of the versions with wheels is usually higher (50% approx) than that of the versions without wheels.
In our selection of portable bars, we have tried to bring you cheap but good-quality ballet bars. So, you will make the best decision to buy your ballet barre for home. There are also much more expensive. These mobile ballet bars owe their high price to the materials they use. They are very robust materials, which increase the weight of the bar but make it very stable.
Klarfit Barre Lerina Ballet barView on Amazon UK
If you want to stay fit and graceful, this is the product for you. The Klarfit Bar Lerina ballet bar enables dance or Pilates training wherever you want: at home, in the studio and even in the park. You don’t need wall mounting required.
The Klarfit Bar Lerina ballet bar will help you to stay in shape with dance and ballet without effort. You can use it for practising posture and ballet figures or for carrying out Pilates exercises to train legs, abdomen, back and buttocks. So, you can choose from a wide range of training options. Besides, this barre is mobile and free-standing. Therefore, this 110 cm long bar can be used for training practically anywhere. In other words, you can dismantle it into easily transportable parts in just a few simple steps and reassemble it at the desired location.
In addition, this training bar is infinitely adjustable in height between 70 and 113 cm so that you can find the perfect height quickly for every training requirement. On the other hand, the bar diameter of 38 mm guarantees good grip during exercises.
Finally, the mobile ballet barre is extremely robust and stable, made entirely of tubular steel and has a durable chrome coating. Also, the 80 cm wide arched feet ensure a secure footing without tilting during training. To sum up, the Klarfit Bar Lerina ballet bar helps everyone on their way to a dream figure and dance training.
|Manufacturer reference||FITN3-Bar Lerina P|
|Dimensions||Dimensions (min. height): approx. 79 x 70 x 110 cm (WxHxD) Dimensions (max. height): approx. 79 x 113 x 110 cm (WxHxD)|
|Package Dimensions||79 x 25 x 11 cm; 6 Kilograms|
- Adjustable: You can adjust the bar height between 70 and 113 cm
- Good grip: Thanks to a handlebar diameter of 38 mm, this bar assures you a good grip during the exercises.
- Lightweight and portable: It weighs only 5 kg and has a length of 110 cm. So training is possible even in tight spaces.
- Versatile: It’s ideal for dance training or stretching. Also, this bar is perfect for Pilates exercises to strengthen legs, stomach, back and buttocks.
- Easy to assemble or disassemble: You can dismantle it in just a few steps and reassemble at the desired location.
- Sturdy: This bar is made entirely of steel
- Too low: Maybe, this bar is only suitable for children or short people. If you’re taller than 1.70 m (5’5’’ feet) and your goal is stretching, this bar isn’t for you.
- Unstable: It isn’t steady enough. So, when you are doing the exercises, it could move a bit on it.
Artan Balance Ballet Barre PortableView on Amazon UK
The innovative design lets you raise or lower the dance barre height to better suit any height, age, or ability level. It’s great for beginners and experts. Also, it is portable and lightweight but resistant. This bar has a wide and stable base, with slip-resistant rubber feet to keep it from sliding around on slick floors. Last but not least, you can also use its curved legs for stretching out your muscles or working on a routine. All in all, this bar is durable, very stable, and easy to take from one place to another.
|Style||Curved Double Bar Black|
|Material||Durable, power-coated steel|
|Package Dimensions||123.95 x 22.86 x 12.7 cm; 8.25 Kilograms|
- Easy to assemble: This bar is very easy to put together
- Lightweight: It only weighs 8.25 kg
- Curved legs for enhancing stretching: You can use its curved legs for stretching out your muscles or working on a routine
- Tall: This bar is tall enough, even for male dancers.
- Sturdy: This is a resistant, power-coated steel product.
- Unstable: It isn’t stable enough. When you are stretching, the bar may move from side to side.
GYMAX Double Ballet Barre with Non-slip StandView on Ebay UK
This premium double ballet bar is ideal for kids and adults. Then, it’s perfect for your ballet training, stretching or pilates exercises. This barre has many advantages. To begin with, it’s fully adjustable. This freestanding ballet barre has 6 high-quality fasteners for easy adjustment. Also, you can easily disassemble the bar every time you need to store it.
Secondly, this bar is extremely stable. It features anti-slip rubber feet on the bottom. So, this prevents you from tipping or shifting during your training. What is more, these rubber pads will protect your floor and ensure a secure stance during working out. Last but not least, this bar is sturdy and lasting. This bar is made from powder-coated iron. So, this product is resistant enough for daily practice. In addition, it features a capacity of 50 kg. And last but not least, the bars are painted with eco-friendly rustproof lacquer. All in all, the Gymax Double Ballet Bar is designed for long term use.
|Product Dimensions||123.01 x 70.99 x 119 cm; 8.3 Kilograms|
- Adjustable: You can quickly adapt the height of this ballet barre to your needs.
- Easy to assemble and disassemble: All parts can be detachable for easy storage.
- Lightweight and Portable: Its simple design makes assembly and disassembly of this product fast and easy. Then, you can carry it anywhere without effort. Also, it only weighs 9 kg.
- Stable: This bar features anti-slip rubber pads that prevent shaking during training.
- Sturdy: This product is made with powder-coated iron
- Its bolts and nuts aren’t the best quality
Z ZELUS Ballet Barre Portable for Home, 5ft Ballet Bar for KidsView on Zelus Store
With ZELUS 5ft Double Ballet Barre you can stretch and work out like a professional. Since it’s portable, lightweight and easy to put together, this ballet barre is perfect for your home or studio. At first, this barre is fully adjustable. So, you can extend the top bar from 1.9 ft to 5 ft from the floor (0.58 m to 1.52 m).
After this, this bar is very resistant. This 5ft double barre uses durable steel-covered brackets coated in an anti-rust/anti-corrosion spray. Natural beechwood bar, and stained beechwood for sweatproof yet, remain incredibly flexible for all your stretches and routines. So, this barre will never tarnish and last for years. What is more, this barre is designed for dancers of all ages and sizes with a max weight capacity of 330lbs (150 kg)
Next, this barre is very easy to put together. Then, you don’t need any tools to assemble it. All you need is to slide barres into place, tighten the knobs, and place where you like. So, the setup is quite simple!
Then, this barre is very stable, thanks to its anti-slip rubber feet. Therefore, this barre offers a great grip on floors and increased stability without damaging your floors while in use. So, you’ll never lose your footing while training!
And last but not least, the manufacturer gives a 1-year warranty with your purchase. Moreover, Zelus offers 24/7 customer service.
|Package Dimensions||147.32 x 20.32 x 17.27 cm; 10.59 Kilograms|
- Sturdy: It features two solid wood barres and double angled braces that make this bar very robust.
- Non-slip bottom: This bar is equipped with 4 high friction non-slip rubber feet. They add stability and prevent the bar from slipping. And they also protect the floor from being scratched.
- Versatile: Thanks to the double bar, you’ll be able to do a great variety of stretching. Also, it easily adapts to kids, adults, short or tall people.
- Long: This bar is longer than typical bars. So, if you’re extremely flexible, you’ll take your stretchings to the next level with this bar!
- It takes up a lot of space: The bottom legs are too long so it’s difficult to put the bar in any place around the house. So, you’ll need a big room if you want to use this bar.
- Expensive: This bar is more expensive than most bars in the market.
Ultrasport pull-up barView on Amazon UK
Although this product isn’t strictly a ballet bar, you can use it perfectly for your dance training. Without a doubt, this is the most portable and lightweight bar on the market nowadays. It only weighs 3 pounds! So, it’s very easy to move around. Besides, this bar is versatile because you can choose the height according to your needs. Then, this bar is suitable for adults and kids, short or tall people. Both beginner and advanced dancers will find this bar extremely helpful.
On the other hand, this bar is made with a non-slip material. In other words, Ib2designs Portable Barre is anti-scratch thanks to its powder-coated metallic texture. Also, its highly-finished surface makes the grip enjoyable and resistant to slipping.
In addition to this, it’s quite easy to install. You only need a door frame. So, this bar is the best option for small spaces. To sum up, this bar is the perfect working-out partner for dancers, pilates enthusiasts and everyone who wants to improve their flexibility.
|Color||Barre Only – No Cover|
|Package Dimensions||63.6 x 5.41 x 5.41 cm; 1.62 Kilograms|
- Best bar for small rooms: Undoubtedly, you should buy this ballet barre if you don’t have enough space at home. So, this bar won’t take up your whole living room!
- Easy and fast set up: You only need a door frame, screw open both bar ends until you have the perfect width and then secure it in place the same way.
- Portable: You can remove this bar easily and quickly, and take it anywhere
- Lightweight: It only weighs 1.62 kg!
- Very sturdy
- Easy storage: Removing is quite easy. Once you’re done using it, you can store it under your couch or bed.
- Too short: This bar couldn’t fit every doorframe. On the other hand, its short length could make it hard to do some stretching exercises.
Product Comparison Table
- Good grip
- Lightweight and portable
- Easy to assemble or…
- Too low
- Easy to assemble
- Curved legs for enhancing…
- Easy to assemble and…
- Lightweight and Portable
- Its bolts and nuts…
- Non-slip bottom
- It takes up a…
- Best bar for small…
- Easy and fast set…
- Very sturdy
- Too short
If you still haven’t decided which ballet barre to buy, we can add something about the different materials. We can find wooden, plastic, metal or even ecological bars. The material they are made from not only affects the cost of the bar but also affects its stability and resistance to wear. In fact, most classic wooden bars are resistant. However, they are obviously more expensive (this also depends on the type of wood used for the realization).
Metal dance bars are very durable and also stable but not very aesthetic. On the other hand, plastic bars are certainly cheap and light. So, they are also easily transportable but not so safe and stable during use.
Finally, here are more factors you can think of if you want to buy your ballet barre. You need to consider how often you’re using the bar (for durability). On the other hand, you should keep your budget in mind. There you have it: there is our top list of the best portable bars out there. Make sure you shop wisely and take your time assessing what you need and what you can use your bar for.